Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Moab

Steve, Sage and I went down to Moab last weekend.  We went down to compete in the Moab XTerra Triathlon races.  Steve and I did the Olympic Road race, meaning we didn't mountain bike it, but road on the road.  Clever.

The race was good.  Got our trash kicked, as we're pretty out of shape.  This was the motivating race to get us working out this spring.  Well, as it turns out, it's hard to work out while moving and getting settled and otherwise being busy.  Have I mentioned that I have a hard time being consistent with working out ever since Sage was born?  Yes, it's hard for me.

Anyway, back to the race.  The swim was in Ken's lake, which was nice and chilly.  We had rented wetsuits, but still it was cold.  It took me the first 5 minutes or so of the race to even catch my breath.  Every time I put my face in the water I'd gasp for breath.  It was actually pretty frustrating for me, since swimming is the easiest part of a tri for me.  I got pretty anxious and had to really control my head to stay focused and know that I was ok.

The bike was ok, more uphill than I would have liked.  But the downhill was awesome!!!!  The run was really good.  I was surprised.  I don't usually like trail running, but that was a blast.  It was nice because Steve and I ran together, so that was fun.  Slow, yes we were, but we had fun.

Now we're more motivated to keep working out and racing.  We'll see what the rest of the summer brings.  I was going to post photos from the race, but the ones online are horrible (and I couldn't copy and paste them... can't steal images after running our own photo business).  Some friends snagged some photos of us, so when I get those, I'll post them up.

A huge thanks to Heather and Spencer Babcock for watching Sage during the race!!!!!!  And thanks to Karl and Sarah Jarvis for hanging out with us before and after.  Good friends are a great thing!

No comments: